Family

Family

Saturday, 16 May 2015

Orienteering - Cleeve Hill

Saturday 16th May 2015

I was hesitant about orienteering as I had already jogged round my first park run the same morning, but I haven't orienteering much this year, and it was only at Cleeve Hill.  Of course, once there I was very glad I had gone.

Parking and assembly was in a new field, right on the edge of the common.  There weren't many there when I arived so no hassle and no queues to start.  I walked and occasionally jogged around the green course.  The planning was good, crossing the quarries three times and avoiding the more open golf course.  In particular there was a difficult route choice to make between controls 3 and 4.  I was surprised to leave Gary Wakerley leaving control 4, and see him as he was approaching control 6 and I was en-route to 9.  I kept checking my map to see if I had missed a control.  Also a tall fit runner who started a minute in front of me passed me three times towards the finish, the final time commenting "I can run, but I can't navigate".

The weather was beautiful; plenty of sun, and the gorse was all in bloom.  Lovely.

  


Results
19th out of 41 starters (2 dnf).
16:01 mins/km (but remember, it is Cleeve Hill, ie. open)



No comments:

Post a Comment