M has suffered with a bad hip for quite some time. How she has managed to struggle on with it, especially cleaning as vigorously as she does, is beyond me. Eventually she sought medical help, but having been referred to Cheltenham, her initial appointment was cancelled five times, which more than frustrated her. After this, her doctor suggested that she look for other hospitals on "Choose and Book", and Stratford/Warwick had much better reviews. She was seen for an assessment relatively quickly. Unfortunately her initial date of the operation was delay due to an urgent trauma case, but she was offered a cancellation a week later.
At last that day has come round. I took her in to Warwick for 7AM, and she was soon admitted by friendly and efficient nurses. She was first on the list. I went in to see her at 5:30PM. Unfortunately she was in some pain, and was having to wait for effective pain relief as the nurses were waiting on a busy A&E doctor to come and prescribe morphine. I stayed until 7:15PM, but was very tired after the early start and work, so thought I had better head back. M had managed to eat her dinner, but obviously the pain was causing quite some discomfort, as she didn't feel able to give me a run down of the day in quite her usual detail.
Later she phoned to say the doctor had prescribed 1 to 2mg of morphine, whereas the nursing staff were expecting 10 to 20mg. So it was back for another wait. Poor M. I hope she has a good night and is feeling better tomorrow.
I emailed round the family. Mary phoned, which was nice, and I was amused by Catherine's comment by email "Haha she should be on at least 10mg every 2 to 4 hours. That's my standard just for a bit of pain!"
It was odd being at home on my own. Spookily quiet, and would take some getting used to.
No comments:
Post a Comment