Saturday 22nd November 2014
I have long wanted to attend some of Kate Bird's meditation workshops, but it has been difficult to find the time. When I was on the All Saints Church finance committee (which met on Saturday morning), these often clashed with the workshop, and even if they didn't then it was hard to fit it in with taking M to her mothers. However I have now stepped down from the PCC and finance committee, partly with the aim that I would do less, and partly with the aim that I should spend time doing what I need to to do.
Kate runs workshops under her "Being Centered" title, this one on "The Power of Spiritual Practice". The underlying principles are that we should all
Connect with something higher/greater than ourselves
Reflect on our progress, development and behavior
Be of service
To help with these aims she encourages us to take time to meditate. This quietens the noise that the mind generates and opens us to reflection.
The course was full, with ten participants, some of whom had traveled quite some distance (Devon, London). There was several exercises during the day, including a guided meditation and a quiet time for thinking alone. Both of these were very helpful for me. The solo time was particularly useful as we didn't have to assume a set position and follow a set practice but instead could choose from a number of ideas for quieting the left brain while letting the creative brain have some space.
Interspersed with these exercises was discussion, both in pairs and as a group.
The day was all that I had hoped for, and I look forward to further opportunities.
No comments:
Post a Comment