Family

Family

Sunday, 16 November 2014

M's Hip Operation. Day 3. Saturday

I took advantage of a quiet house to sleep late, and I needed it with all the running around the past few days.  Perhaps I am still not up to full strength after my heart attack.  Anyway I was phoned at 10AM by M, to say she could come out this afternoon once her drugs had arrived form the pharmacy.  Good news  However when I mentioned that I was still in bed, she thought I was joking, so I didn't push it.

I drove over to pick M up at 3PM.  She was looking  a lot better, and was much more mobile.  I pushed her in a wheelchair over to the car park.  There was a little bit of fiddling at the car as I had to pull out of a space and block the car park access to give her enough room to get in, then park again while I took the wheelchair back.

I am really amazed at modern healthcare and the NHS, both the technology and the skills of all levels of the staff.  Just the fact that such a major operation can be carried out is wonderful, but that M is up and walking within three days, and the pain mostly controlled really means that we risk underplaying it and taking it for granted since it no longer requires a long stay in hospital. 

It was good to have M back home.





The evening and night were a little bit troublesome, as though she wants to asset her independence.  I tried to give her space but at one point I found M trying to carry an 8 foot plank upstairs, and since she can't walk without crutches, this was proving difficult.  She wanted to put up a shelf in Mary's bedroom to hold her medicines.



No comments:

Post a Comment